Keep an eye on this page for updates from your Wasilla Chamber Government Affairs Committee as well as local legislative information we feel is important to pass along to our Membership.
2022 Greater Wasilla Chamber of Commerce Legislative Priorities
(as approved by the GWCC Board of Directors, November 2021)
As a nexus for Alaskan commerce, resources, transportation and visitors, the Greater Wasilla Chamber of Commerce, encourages the development of free markets and healthy local economies supported by local, regional and State governments and therefore requests legislative action and funding to assure adequate infrastructure and local control to support the health, safety and economic wellbeing of our residents and visitors alike. In addition, the Chamber seeks to incentivize economic growth including reliable, safe, and reasonably priced telecommunications, gas, power, roads and ports. We support projects that improve the reliability and capacity in areas of high probability for growth while stabilizing associated rates/taxes.
Below are our top priorities for the upcoming year:
1. Knik-Goose Bay Road (KGB) upgrade –
This is our top priority. GWCC appreciates the Governor and Wasilla legislators’ action to date and
request you stay vigilant to ensure the current timeline to begin construction remains 2022.
2. Maintain critical construction schedule for STIP approved projects with a focus on Phase II of Knik Goose Bay Road project, the Wasilla Main Street project, and Seward Meridian upgrades to support safety and economic growth. In addition, local area projects like Bogard/Engstrom and the Glenn highway upgrades should continue to be prioritized.
3. Move alcohol regulations and associated enforcement from the state to capable local jurisdictions. The GWCC supports SB9 only with local control amendments.
4. Ensure allocation of federal and state transportation dollars recognizing the area’s substantial growth and status as an economic engine for the region and the state:
a. Secure state matching funds for the Mat-Su Borough’s transportation requests – Prioritize road improvements to ensure safety, decrease traffic congestion and spur economic growth.
b. Port MacKenzie improvements/usage – Work in collaboration with the borough to identify opportunity for development and incentivize users for port, including an upgrade to the access road.
5. Reduced constitutional spending limit to better match existing and future revenue sources. The GWCC supports SJR7.
6. Wasilla City Airport – Support state and federal funding for runway expansion for commercial jet traffic.
7. Secure targeted federal funding and other support as a catalyst to leverage private dollars, spur economic growth and ensure the long-term vitality of the area.
a. Infrastructure – Support/pursue federal infrastructure dollars as available to support area growth, meet increasing resident and business needs and catalyze economic development.
b. Pursue an alternate transportation corridor between the Anchorage Bowl and points north across the Knik Arm to ensure adequate safety and emergency response as well as economic opportunities for the region.
8. Pursue a user-friendly health cost transparency at the state and federal level, including an All-Payor Claims Database to provide better information to consumers and incentivize lower costs.